Monday, August 5, 2013

American Airlines and why I'm a newly found breastfeeding evangelist

I tend to live my life in a happy place. I believe people are generally good and we should be supportive of each other. I also believe that there are as many parenting techniques as there are people in this world and so far, no one has -proven- one to be right. So, to each his own.

But, every once in a while I find something so egregiously offensive, that I have to stand up for what is right. So, here I go.

In a nut shell, a mom was, in her opinion, discreetly nursing her infant during take off (what most airlines and travel experts recommend to help with ear pain) when she was treated pretty badly by a flight attendant. The flight attendant asked her to cover up, even though she was sitting in a window seat and no one around her even noticed she was nursing, much less seemed upset by it. When she refused to cover, the flight attendant took it upon herself to move the girl who was sitting in the aisle seat and refused to make eye contact with, or serve the nursing mom. The nursing mom proceeded to complain to American Airlines and received this letter in response:

First of all, I get very angry when someone gives you a backhanded apology... like "I'm so sorry. Truly sorry for my actions.... but you were wrong and I was justified." But, even more anger provoking is that we live in a society where feeding a baby is ever considered offensive.

I don't know where you live, but where I live, it's widely understood that "Breast is Best", meaning breast milk is the best and most nutritious source of food for a baby. As a nursing mom, I can promise you that I am never breastfeeding my baby in an effort to offend you. I am breastfeeding my baby in an effort to feed my baby. She's hungry. Oh, and if we're on a flight, I'm actually doing the opposite of trying to offend you. I'm trying to keep her from screaming because her ears are hurting and she doesn't know how to pop them. She's too young to chew gum and too young to know how to hold her nose and pop her ears, or whatever trick you use. She knows how to suck. Or scream. It's about as simple as that.

And sure, it sounds easy to put a cover on, but have you ever tried to maneuver your laptop bag out from under the seat in front of you and found that difficult? How about doing that during take off, with a screaming baby in your lap. Not so easy. Nursing covers are also hot and distracting for babies. Sometimes my little girl won't even latch when she's covered. So, again, I promise you that when I'm breastfeeding my baby, I'm never trying to offend you. I'm only trying to feed my baby.

But, all of this still begs the question: Why on earth is breastfeeding offensive to anyone?! It's the most natural of feeding techniques and the most healthy for baby and mom. 100 years ago, we didn't have baby formula. Everyone had to breastfeed, or find a wet nurse to feed their babies. It's absolutely amazing that we now have alternatives like formula, but when did that become less offensive and more normal?

I'm all for choices in parenting and I know not everyone is successful at breastfeeding, or even able to try. But, I really want to wake up one day in a world where "because it's offensive / weird / inconvenient / socially unacceptable / etc" is NOT a reason to choose formula.

Shame on you, American Airlines for perpetuating this myth that breastfeeding is offensive. Breastfeeding is hard enough without you making nursing moms feel ashamed about it too.

1 comment:

  1. Tell it Kate!! Well said! When did feeding our babies become so removed from daily life that it could be considered offensive? Especially when the amount of breast tissue shown to sell myriad products is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete