Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Tribute to Working and Pumping Mamas

When you're pregnant, you think that maintaining breastfeeding will be a no brainer, even when you return to work. Even in the first few months when you're still home, you think that pumping isn't that hard. Hell, sometimes pumping is even easier. My Medela rarely has a latch problem. And it never goes on nursing strike.

Then, you return to work. And if you're like me, you forget to talk to your boss about accommodations and just show up on the first day and find an empty conference room to use until you talk to HR. 

Thankfully, my work is super supportive. They set me up in an abandoned office a short walk from my cubicle and gave me a small personal fridge for my desk. They also give me as many breaks as I need. My setup is totally hands free, so I'm able to work and check emails while being milked like a cow. But, it's still a hassle. I've had to turn down meetings or leave 3 times in the middle of all day team building activities. I have to warn everyone that "I'm a nursing mom" and may have to take a break while we're discussing this super important project. And that's just the scheduling part. That's not the worst part.

The worst part is stripping down in some random conference room or office and hooking yourself up to be milked. When was the last time you bared your breasts in your office? For me, it was 15 times last week... And it will be 15 times this week. And the following week. And hopefully for the next 7 months until Chicken Nugget turns 1.

At work, I've never been walked in on. But, at a recent offsite meeting, that happened twice. There is literally nothing more compromising than being caught in this position. I have no issue with people seeing me breast feed, but there's something so bovine about being hooked up to this machine. It is not in any way professional or even motherly looking. It's just weird and embarrassing.

But, it's what I do to keep my Chicken Nugget on breast milk. It's also makes me appreciate so much the early mornings, evenings and weekends when I can put that pump away and just nurse my baby in peace.

So, here's to all the pumping moms out there! It's just one more thing we'll make our kids feel guilty about when they grow up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment